Friday, June 14, 2013

My 2 Cents: Ultimate Spider-man: The end of Spectacular Spider-man?

OK, here's the first edition of the 'My 2 Cents'. This one is about the issue that most fans have with this series:

Ultimate Spiderman (Owned by Marvel entertainment)
You see, after the end of the second season of the really popular Spectacular Spider-man series, most people were hoping for another season to close up any loose ends. But instead, when Disney gained the television rights to Spider-Man, they sadly couldn't get the rights from Sony and the series was canceled.

Everyone thinks that Disney is to blame for this, but that's not the case. While I am sure the crew would enjoy continuing the show, it can't really be done because, when you think about it, back then, Disney didn't own Marvel.

when Disney bought Marvel, it was meant to be a way to save them from financial trouble. but while they own the characters, they don't try to change anything in the comics and let the company do as it pleases with the comics while it helps produce it's Television programming.

And before anyone says about 'Oh Disney is ruining Marvel cartoons', lets remember they were able to show THIS while they owned it:

And while that is another show that got canceled before some things were tied together, lets focus on Spider-Man, shall we? (Avengers Assemble will be for a future 2 Cents thing when I see more of the show).

There are a few complains I've seen about this show, so I'll talk about them each:

Drake Bell as Spider-Man

I do not own this image, but this man or woman is a good artist.
While I haven't heard this a lot, I am sure there are people who complained about the casting choice for Spider-Man, as Josh Keaton from Spectacular did such a good job protraying him. As for me...I like him playing Spidey.

He DID a parody of htis before...if we remember he was the main hero of this film:

I felt REALLY bad for Drake for being in this film...but I will not review it ever.
Anyway, while most people see the show as too humorous (I'll get to that, don't worry), Drake is able to show a lot of the character just as well as Josh did. Sure he's more on the quipy side, but that's how Spidey is: He cracks jokes. While some aren't that good, we can't really blame Drake for that...that's the writer's fault.

While the show can be silly, Drake does a good job like Josh did. Sure Josh is a better actor as he can show off all parts of Spidey's personality in and out of costume, Drake does a good enough job to be counted as one of the good Spider MAn voice actors, as he does show he has grown a bit since this is taking palce a year after he became Spiderman

A good example of this came in the Nightmare episode, the villain of said episode tried to use Spidey's weakness against him (Which was failing his uncle), but it turns out by then, he's made up for his mistake everyday as Spider-Man. And...I actually liked that. It shows that he's moved on quite a bit as a hero.

This Spidey also has to do something not a lot of the other TV shows made him out to be: a leader. He's the leader of a team of OTHER heroes.

(Teammates behind Spidey from Left to right): Iron Fist, Nova, Power Man and White Tiger
His team consists of Ava Ayala, aka the White Tiger, a new heroine who was introduced to the comics sometime before this series in the Avengers Academy comics. Then there's another hero named Sam Alexander, the new Nova (Sort of like a Marvel's answer to the Green Lantern.). and then there's Long-time Marvel characters Luke Cage (back as Power Man) and Iron Fist, aka Danny Rand. These four make up four rookie heroes that are under Spidey's Leadership as he has a bit more experience on the field.

While the show is humor-based, it's nice they actually DO give them character moments and gives Spidey time too know his teammates more and more as teh series goes on.

The Humor

Yeah this is complained about a lot...here's some examples of the humor:






Yeah...those are just SOME examples of what the humor of the show is: KIND OF cartoony nonsense...THAT only happens in his head usually instead of real life. Meaning that those goofier moments (Except for the Pig thing, that's actually what Loki did to him) are just meant to show his brainwaves trying to make sense of something in a humorous way.

People also complained that he breaks the fourth wall too much...didn't he have a monologue in most of his shows or comics? So...yeah...this is kind of weird to talk about...so I won't.

And there ARE some serious moments in this show, and sometimes down right SCARY ideas. Like for example:

Sandman being a psycho who's been stuck on an island by SHIELD
The symboite taking over, not just Spidey, but most of his teammates as well
...JUST look at this guy! He's scarier than MOST versions of Doc Ock!
Iron Fist and Spidey helping Dr. Strange save new york from being stuck in Eternal Sleep

In all, most of the time, the humor CAN be irritating, but I do like how they have some serious moments that make up for it.

Speaking of Spidey though...here's the last complaint I'll talk about, but this IS a big one:

Lack of Spider-Man Villains

About 1/4 of these villains actually appeared in Spectacular anyway, but more than Ultimate it seems

Up until Season 2, we've had little to no Spidey villains besides Norman Osborn (later Green Goblin), Venom, Doctor Octopus and one appearance from Sandman.

And this is a crime for Spider Man. I like seeing Spidey going toe to toe with Dr. Doom and Loki, but it does seem odd that we don't get a lot of his villains. Though I think I know why:

Spectacular did such a good job with the villains. think about it: Most of the villains in that show were expertly done and it can be hard too do all these villains justice. So they had to make some choices. And as of Season 2, they were able to get more in.

They got Kraven as a hunter who goes after mystical artifacts instead of hunting Spidey, Electro appeared as both his original and Ultimate forms, and what not. But in all, I can see why people are annoyed by this and I can understand that.

But in all...can we realy blame Ultimate Spider Man for the end of Spectacular? Not really. I mean, it's not MArvel, or Sony, or even the creators of the show's fault. Some shows end before their time and while some things can be helped, some things can't. And that's usually because of dumb reasons like the executives wanting to end it because of budget issues or lack of merchandise...

While I would have liked to see Spectacular Spider Man continue it's story telling and what not, but we can't always change their minds. But there is hope that Ultimate Spider Man can get better if we keep an open mind.

I'll use an example of another show in this argument: 


I'm not sure about other people, but I was a bit cautious at first when I heard about Young Justice when it was first announced. I was a big Teen Titans fan, so I was curious on how this show would do. But as I continued to watch it, it got better and better.

And before people complain about me comparing Ultimate Spider Man to Young Justice, I am just saying that, like the people who are kind of cautious about Ultimate Spiderman, I was the same with Young Justice. But I gave it a chance and I really enjoyed it. It's the same with Ultimate Spider Man: I gave it a chance and I really enjoyed it.

If you did give Ultimate Spider Man a chance and didn't enjoy it, that's okay. More power to you for having a different opinion than me. But if you are just someone who complains about something without even giving it that chance, that isn't cool. At all, and it kind of makes your complaints sound a bit empty.

But this is the end of my first editorial and let me know if you enjoyed it. Next week will be another review of an animated film this time. I hope too catch you guys up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment